Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents - Help: Searching
Table of Contents
The drop down box to the right of the "Topics" title, lists all the Decision Topics and the related codes. You may type the code in the topic box or select one or more topics from the drop down menu and click the "Add" button. When more than one topic is selected an "or" will be automatically added between the selected topics. Repeat until the search string is completed (i.e. A11 or A74) then click the "Search" button.
- Select A20 then click on the "ADD" button, then select C01 and click "ADD" again, finally click on the "Search" button. The search results should comprise Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents classified under A20 (Double Patenting) or C01 (Failure to Fulfill Promise (e.g. erroneous theory)). The hit list should comprise among others, Decision of the Commissioner of Patents numbers 1014 for "Double Patenting" and 1027 for "Failure to Fulfill Promise".
Enter specific words to be searched using the "Search Text" box and click on the "Search" button. The text of the Decisions and any notes (containing information on the Appeal Status of some Decisions) will be searched.
Examples of Text Searches
Here are a few examples of searches and some related comments. These examples show how the Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents search language can be used.
- laboratories <or> labs - You may need to use similar words to find all Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents related to a subject.
- host cell - Finds documents containing the words "host cell".
- host cell* - Another way to look for multiple spellings.
- comm* - Finds Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents containing words which start with "comm". Use an asterisk (*) as a wildcard.
- "section 2(d)" <or> "section 36(1)" - Finds Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents with either the phrase, "section 2(d)", or "section 36(1)" in the title. When searching a phrase, the words should be enclosed in quotes.
- (golf <and> <not> ball) - Finds Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents with the word "golf", but not the word "ball".
- disk drive <near> air - Finds Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents with the words "disk drive" within 256 words of the word "air".
- cell <near/3> nucleus - Finds Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents where "cell" is within three words of nucleus.
Select the language of search using the "Radio Buttons" below the "Search Text" box. The search can be made in the English text, the French text or both.
If you know the Decision number enter it in the box. Do not use commas.
If you know the application number enter it in the box. Do not use commas.
- 292964- Searches for application number 292,964.
If you know the patent number enter it in the box. Do not use commas.
- 2000001- Searches for patent number 2,000,001.
Select the classification or a portion of the classification under which you expect to find related Decisions. Patent documents filed prior to October 1, 1989, are classified according to the Canadian Patent Classification (CPC) system. Patent documents filed on or after October 1, 1989, are classified according to the International Patent Classification (IPC) system. The present version of the IPC (IPC-2006 or IPC version 8) is in force since January 1, 2006. The two latest versions (7 and 8) can be consulted on the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Web site.
- IPC contains H03K 19/0175 - finds all Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents with this classification in either the primary or secondary IPC fields.
- IPC contains H01F 2/* - finds all Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents classified into this group.
- CPC contains 20/230.1 - finds all Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents with this classification.
- CPC contains 20/230.* - finds all Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents with a class of 20, subclass of 230, and any deci-class.
Search for a specific date or a range using the date pickers, based on the date the Decision of the Commissioner of Patents was rendered. Date searching is inactive when the date fields are blank. Date search criteria are always "ANDed" to your text search criteria. Date searches should always be used in conjunction with a text search to avoid long search times.
Restrict the search to Commission of Patents decisions made within the specified date range.
This search will find Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents that were rendered on or after December 3, 1989 and on or before December 3, 2000 and which also match any other text search criteria that you have entered.
Results per Result List
The results are ranked based on the hit count. Hit count refers to the number of times individual query words or search criteria appear in the selected field(s).
The search engine can display up to 1000 Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents per search. When the results exceed the maximum, a note appears on the hit lists to recommend you to adjust your search criteria. For example, you can restrict your search criteria using the date range.
- Date modified: