Canadian Patents Database / Patent 2141485 Summary
Third-party information liability
Some of the information on this Web page has been provided by external sources. The Government of Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of the information supplied by external sources. Users wishing to rely upon this information should consult directly with the source of the information. Content provided by external sources is not subject to official languages, privacy and accessibility requirements.
Claims and Abstract availability
Any discrepancies in the text and image of the Claims and Abstract are due to differing posting times. Text of the Claims and Abstract are posted:
- At the time the application is open to public inspection;
- At the time of issue of the patent (grant).
|(12) Patent Application:||(11) CA 2141485|
|(54) English Title:||TREATMENT OF WASTE PRINTED PAPERS WITH SURFACE ACTIVE POLYMERIC COMPOSITIONS FOR IMPROVED RECYCLABILITY|
|(54) French Title:||TRAITEMENT DE PAPIERS IMPRIMES USES A L'AIDE DE COMPOSITIONS POLYMERIQUES SURFACTIVES, POUR FACILITER LE RECYCLAGE|
|(51) International Patent Classification (IPC):||
|(72) Inventors (Country):||
|(73) Owners (Country):||
|(71) Applicants (Country):|
|(22) Filed Date:||1995-01-31|
|(41) Open to Public Inspection:||1996-08-01|
|(30) Availability of licence:||N/A|
|(30) Language of filing:||English|
This invention relates to a treatment process of wastepaper for making printing
grade paper from newsprints and officewastes using surface active polymer composition
including a novel surface active terpolymer. In particular, the invention is concerned with a
process for removing ink from an aqueous pulp slurry by treating the pulp with a surface
active polymer composing of two to three comonomers in which at least one is a
hydrophobe and another is a hydrophil, having a glass transition temperature ranging from
about 105°C to about 170°C, alkali metal salts of the said surface active polymer and the
combination of the said surface active polymer with a fatty oil alkoxy derivative or fatty
The embodiments of the invention are in which an exclusive treatment of repulped
waste printed paper with surface active polymer compositions to improve recyclability, is
claimed and defined as follows:
1. A treated wastepaper composition useful for making printing grade paper
obtained by exposing printed waste paper repulped-slurry comprising of of offset, photocopy,
laser and inkjet printed papers contaminated with waster-based flexographic ink printed
papers in direct contact with a surface active polymer, the said surface active polymer being
an alkaline salt or an oil soluble organic material having a glass transition temperature in the
range 105°C to 170°C, characterized by being adsorbable to small ink particle surfaces,
and enhancing the receptivness of the said ink particles to other small inks, agglomerating
and then floating them out from an aqueous medium to enhance the brightness of the
2. The treatment of waste printed paper of claim 1 in which the wastepaper is a
mixture of newsprints and officewastes and, the surface active polymer is a copolymer or a
terpolymer having a glass transition temperature in the range 105°C to 170°C degrees
3. The treatment of claim 1 in which the copolymer or the terpolymer contains
at least one comonomer with an acid anhydride functionality.
4. The treatment of claim 2 in which mixtures of newsprints and officewaste
comprise offset and flexo-printed old newsprints (ONP) as well as xerographic, laserjet and
inkjet printed of officewastes.
5. The treatment of claim 3 in which a copolymer or a terpolymer containing
acid anhydride functionality is a styrene-2,5 furandione copolymer or a terpolymer of
styrene, 2,5 furandione and a third comonomer.
6. The treatment of claim 5 in which the third comonomer is an acid anhydride
other than 2,5 furandione.
7. The treatment of claim 6 in which the terpolymer is a styrene-2,5
furandione-2 dodecenyl succinic anhydride.
8. The process for preparing the terpolymer of claim 7 in which the 2-
dodecenyl succinic anhydride content is less than 20 mole percent by weight of the
9. The treatment in claim 1 in which the copolymer or the terpolymer is soluble
in an alkali.
10. The treatment of claim 1 in which the alkali salt of the copolymer or the
terpolymer is a sodium salt.
11. The treatment of claim 1 in which an aqueous solution of a metal chloride is
introduced together with the sodium salt of the coploymer or terpolymer.
12. The treatment of claim 11 in which the aqueous solution of the metal
chloride is calcium chloride.
13. The treatment of claim 1 in which the copolymer or terpolymer is soluble in
water insoluble oil.
14. The treatment of claim 13 in which the water insoluble oil is an ester.
15. The treatment of claim 14 in which the ester is dioctyl phthalate.
16. The treatment of claim 13 in which the oil solubilized copolymer or
terpolymer is incorporated into the said aqueous pulp slurry in the form of a water
17. The treatment of claim 16 in which a conventional frothing agent is added to
stabilize the froth during flotation.
Sorry, the representative drawing for patent document number 2141485 was not found.
For a clearer understanding of the status of the application/patent presented on this page, the site Disclaimer , as well as the definitions for Patent , Administrative Status , Maintenance Fee and Payment History should be consulted.
|(41) Open to Public Inspection||1996-08-01|
|Fee Type||Anniversary Year||Due Date||Amount Paid||Paid Date|
|Maintenance Fee - Application - New Act||2||1997-01-31||$50.00||1997-01-23|
|Reinstatement: Failure to Pay Application Maintenance Fees||$200.00||1998-04-20|
|Maintenance Fee - Application - New Act||3||1998-02-02||$50.00||1998-04-20|
|Reinstatement: Failure to Pay Application Maintenance Fees||$200.00||1999-03-09|
|Maintenance Fee - Application - New Act||4||1999-02-01||$50.00||1999-03-09|