Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents - Help: Searching
Table of Contents
The dropdown menu "Other Criteria", located below the "Topics" box, lists all the decisions, topics and related codes. You may type the code in the topics box or select one or more topics from the dropdown menu in "Other Criteria" and click the "Add" button. When more than one topic is selected, an "OR" will be automatically added between the selected topics. Repeat until the desired search string is completed (i.e., A11 OR A74), then click on the "Search" button.
- Select A20 in the drop down menu, then click on the "Add" button; next select C01 in the drop down menu and click on the "Add" button again; finally, click on the "Search" button. The search results should contain all Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents classified under A20 (Double Patenting) or C01 (Failure to Fulfill Promise (e.g. erroneous theory)). The hit list should include the Decision of the Commissioner of Patents numbers 1014 for "Double Patenting" and 1027 for "Failure to Fulfill Promise".
Enter key words to be searched in the "Search Text" box and click on the "Search" button. The text of the decisions and any notes (containing information on the appeal status of some decisions) will be searched.
Here are a few examples of searches and some related comments. These examples show how the search language feature of the Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents database can be used.
- laboratories OR labs
- You may need to use similar words to find all Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents related to a subject.
- host cell
- Finds documents containing the words "host" AND "cell" OR variations.
- host cell*
- Another way to look for multiple spellings of the word.
- Finds Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents containing words starting with "comm". Use an asterisk (*) as a wildcard.
- "section 2(d)" OR "section 36(1)"
- Finds Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents containing either the phrase, "subsection 2(d)" or "subsection 36(1)." When searching a phrase, the words should be enclosed in quotation marks.
- (golf NOT ball)
- Finds Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents with the word "golf", but not the word "ball".
- (air system)~256
- Finds Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents in which the word "system" is within 256 words of the word "air".
- (cell nucleus)~3
- Finds Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents in which the word "cell" is within 3 words of the word "nucleus".
Select the search language using the "Language" dropdown menu below the "Search Text" box. The search can be made in the English text, the French text, or both.
If you know the decision number, enter it in the âDecision Numberâ box. Do not use commas.
If you know the application number, enter it in the âApplication Numberâ box. Do not use commas.
- Finds application number 292,964.
If you know the patent number, enter it in the âPatent Numberâ box. Do not use commas.
- Finds patent number 2,000,001.
Select the classification or a portion of the classification under which you expect to find related decisions. Patent documents filed prior to October 1, 1989, are classified according to the Canadian Patent Classification (CPC) system. Patent documents filed on or after October 1, 1989, are classified according to the International Patent Classification (IPC) system. The latest version of the IPC (IPC-2018 or IPC version 7.6) has been in force since January 1, 2006. The latest versions can be consulted on the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) website.
- ipc:(A01G 23/00)
- Finds all Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents with this classification in either the primary or secondary IPC fields.
- ipc:(A01G 23/*)
- Finds all Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents classified into this group.
- Finds all Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents with this classification.
- Finds all Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents with a class of 364, and any subclass.
Search by a specific date or range of dates using the date pickers, based on the date the Decision of the Commissioner of Patents was rendered. Select the dates from the dropdown menus. Date searching is inactive when the date fields are blank. The «AND» operator links the date search criteria to your text search criteria. Date searches should always be used in conjunction with a text search to avoid long search times.
Restrict the search to Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents made within the specified date range.
This search will find Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents rendered on or after December 3, 1989 and on or before December 3, 2000, and which also match any other search criteria that you have entered.
Results per Result List
The results are ranked based on the hit count. Hit count refers to the number of times query words or search criteria appear in the selected field(s).
The search engine can display up to 1000 Decisions of the Commissioner of Patents per search. When the results exceed the maximum, a note appears on the results lists to recommend that you adjust your search criteria. For example, you can restrict your search criteria using the date range.
Date modified: 2019-04-17
- Date modified: