Canadian Patents Database / Patent 2823381 Summary
Third-party information liability
Some of the information on this Web page has been provided by external sources. The Government of Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of the information supplied by external sources. Users wishing to rely upon this information should consult directly with the source of the information. Content provided by external sources is not subject to official languages, privacy and accessibility requirements.
Claims and Abstract availability
Any discrepancies in the text and image of the Claims and Abstract are due to differing posting times. Text of the Claims and Abstract are posted:
- At the time the application is open to public inspection;
- At the time of issue of the patent (grant).
|(12) Patent:||(11) CA 2823381|
|(54) English Title:||METHODS OF PROCESSING BIOMASS COMPRISING ELECTRON-BEAM RADIATION|
|(54) French Title:||METHODE DE TRAITEMENT D'UNE BIOMASSE INCLUANT UN RAYONNEMENT PAR FAISCEAU ELECTRONIQUE|
|(51) International Patent Classification (IPC):||
|(72) Inventors (Country):||
|(73) Owners (Country):||
|(71) Applicants (Country):||
|(74) Agent:||SMART & BIGGAR|
|(22) Filed Date:||2007-10-26|
|(41) Open to Public Inspection:||2008-06-19|
|(30) Availability of licence:||N/A|
|(30) Language of filing:||English|
|(30) Application Priority Data:|
This inventions relates to a method comprising burning a lignin-containing residue to generate energy, in which the lignin-containing residue has been obtained by irradiating a cellulosic and/or lignocellulosic material.
L'invention porte sur une méthode comprenant le comprenant la combustion d'un résidu contenant de la lignine pour produire de l'énergie, dans laquelle le résidu contenant de la lignine a été obtenu en irradiant un matériau cellulosique ou lignocellulosique.
1. A method comprising:
burning a lignin-containing residue to generate energy,
wherein the lignin-containing residue is a post-distillate solid produced by:
irradiating a lignocellulosic material,
saccharifying the lignocellulosic material utilizing an enzyme,
fermenting the saccharified material utilizing an organism to produce a
distilling the fermentation product from the lignin-containing residues,
wherein irradiating comprises treating with electron beam radiation to a total
dose of between 10 Mrad and 150 Mrad, and
wherein irradiating is performed at a dose rate of 1 Mrad/s to 10 Mrad/s.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the lignin-containing residue is burned to
water flowing through a heat exchanger.
3. The method of claim 2 further comprising evaporating the water flowing
through the heat exchanger and superheating it to steam.
4. The method of claim 3 further comprising using the steam in heat
a distillation process.
5. The method of claim 3 or 4 further comprising allowing the steam to
power a multi-stage steam turbine connected to an electric generator.
6. The method of claim 5 further comprising condensing steam exiting the
turbine with cooling water, and returning the condensate to the heat exchanger
for reheating to
7. The method of any one of claims 2 to 6 further comprising controlling
rate of water through the heat exchanger to obtain a target electricity output
from the steam
turbine when the turbine is connected to an electric generator.
8. The method of claim 7 further comprising adding water to the heat
to ensure that the steam turbine is operating above a threshold condition.
9. The method of claim 8, wherein the turbine is spinning fast enough to
10. The method of any one of claims 1 to 9, wherein the total dose is
Mrad and 50 Mrad.
11. The method of any one of claims 1 to 10 wherein the lignocellulosic
selected from the group consisting of grasses, rice hulls, bagasse, jute,
hemp, flax, bamboo,
sisal, abaca, straw, corn cobs, corn stover, alfalfa, hay, coconut hair,
seaweed, algae, and
12. The method of any one of claims 1 to 11 wherein the electron beam
electrons having an energy of 0.3 MeV to 2.0 MeV.
13. The method of any one of claims 1 to 12, the method further comprising
comminuting the lignocellulosic material.
14. The method of claim 13, wherein comminuting comprises subjecting the
material to one or more of the following: stone grinding, mechanical ripping
or tearing, pin
grinding, milling, or air attrition milling.
15. The method of any one of claims 1 to 14 wherein the lignin-containing
further comprises cellulose and hemicellulose.
16. The method of any one of claims 1 to 15, further comprising treating
lignocellulosic material with a chemical.
17. The method of claim 16 wherein the chemical is a base, a mineral acid,
base and a mineral acid.
18. The method of claim 17 wherein the material is treated with a base
from the group consisting of sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, lithium
19. The method of claim 18 wherein the material is treated with potassium
20. The method of claim 17 wherein the material is treated with a mineral
selected from the group consisting of sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid and
21. The method of claim 20 wherein the material is treated with sulfuric
For a clearer understanding of the status of the application/patent presented on this page, the site Disclaimer , as well as the definitions for Patent , Administrative Status , Maintenance Fee and Payment History should be consulted.
|(41) Open to Public Inspection||2008-06-19|
|Next Payment if small entity fee||2018-10-26||$125.00|
|Next Payment if standard fee||2018-10-26||$250.00|
Note : If the full payment has not been received on or before the date indicated, a further fee may be required which may be one of the following
- the reinstatement fee set out in Item 7 of Schedule II of the Patent Rules;
- the late payment fee set out in Item 22.1 of Schedule II of the Patent Rules; or
- the additional fee for late payment set out in Items 31 and 32 of Schedule II of the Patent Rules.
|Fee Type||Anniversary Year||Due Date||Amount Paid||Paid Date|
|Request for Examination||$800.00||2013-08-07|
|Registration of Documents||$100.00||2013-08-07|
|Maintenance Fee - Application - New Act||2||2009-10-26||$100.00||2013-08-07|
|Maintenance Fee - Application - New Act||3||2010-10-26||$100.00||2013-08-07|
|Maintenance Fee - Application - New Act||4||2011-10-26||$100.00||2013-08-07|
|Maintenance Fee - Application - New Act||5||2012-10-26||$200.00||2013-08-07|
|Maintenance Fee - Application - New Act||6||2013-10-28||$200.00||2013-08-07|
|Maintenance Fee - Application - New Act||7||2014-10-27||$200.00||2014-10-02|
|Maintenance Fee - Patent - New Act||8||2015-10-26||$200.00||2015-10-19|
|Maintenance Fee - Patent - New Act||9||2016-10-26||$200.00||2016-10-24|
|Maintenance Fee - Patent - New Act||10||2017-10-26||$250.00||2017-10-23|